Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Fan teams Avengers

       First some background, a fan team is an idea I have where I take different universe versions of preexisting characters, and fill a roster for a team.  In this case, to celebrate the upcoming release of the Avengers, I'm giving my version on the team.  It's a good way to waste time for the super nerdy and regular folk as well, think of it as a fantasy league.  The rules are as followed.

1. Roster size is limited to 5-10 members, personally I like to use 7.
2. You must be able to back up your choices, these are complex characters and simply choosing your favorites may not work.
3. No crossovers, this means the characters must be from the same company, in this case I'm doing the Avengers, so all my characters are from marvel.

       Now that the rules are out of the way, here is my attempt to recreate the avengers.

                                          The Leader

 This choice is the easiest to make, I'm going with Captain America from the movies.
Captain America is my favorite Super hero of all time.  And I was a little worried when they announced the actor playing him.  But once I saw the movie I realized how perfect he was.  Captain America is a scrawny guy from New York who wanted to fight for his country so bad he underwent an experimental procedure in order to become eligible.  I chose the movie version because unlike any other version, this one had to prove himself after he was turned.  He is a great guy who just about anyone is willing to follow into the depths of hell.  Sure the costume isn't perfect, but I like the fact that he more than any other version is so willing to fight.  Recently in the comics he lost his powers for a brief time, and refused to go back out until he was strong again, I feel this version wouldn't have this setback.

                                            The Money

       Another easy choice, the options here are limited to if you want a government funded team, or a privately funded team.  For the Avengers I want a private funding.  Because the team needs a headquarters and transport we need someone rich, meaning Iron Man, in this case standard universe Iron Man.
I chose this version because of Extremis, Extremis allows Tony to control machines with his mind, giving him actual super powers on top of his suit.  This version also currently has the Bleeding Edge, which is made of nanites, so it can change shape and create weapons at will, which is awesome.

                                          The Tank

       The member that can dish out damage as well as take it.  I didn't want to go with another obvious, the problem is all the good tanks are obvious choices, Eres is too violent, Hercules is a knockoff of Thor, Thunderstrike is a bigger Thor knockoff, Red Hulk is a Hulk knockoff, Hulk is too volatile,  Captain Marvel is kinda boring, Luke Cage doesn't have the persona I want, leaving Thor.
My choice is the 1602 version, This version of Thor is more authentic and rather than speaking olde-English, he has a viking accent, plus look at him, he looks like he stepped out of Norse mythology.  Thor is one of my favorite Avengers period, and though 1602 was less than stellar, Thor was a shining point of the series.

                                          The Infiltrator

        The stealth based character, the member that can preform recon for the team.  However this member must also be able to take care of himself if needed.  For this I chose Black Panther from the ultimate universe.
I chose this version because I find him to be a much more tragic and therefore more interesting character.  He has mutant powers that make him more panther like, and actual claws.  however his throat was slashed leading to him becoming a mute.  This version also has weapon X training, like Wolverine.  Also having him on the team diversifies the group a bit, creating a better public face.

                                       The Wild Card

       This is the member that is known for turning things around.  For this I chose another one of my favorite avengers.
The Scarlet Witch, I went with the standard version, mostly because I couldn't find a more exciting version who wasn't evil.  Her power is that she can can alter probability fields and change the outcome of things.  This version also had a psychotic break, but it was revealed this was because she was using an outside force to boost her powers, she is fine now and back on the regular roster.

                                           The Rookie

Every team has one, a newcomer who is usually not sure why he is there, and the rest of the team tends to see great potential in them.
For this I chose the ultimate version of Peter Parker, I know he's dead, but he is my favorite character to come out of the Ultimate Universe, when he died he was being trained to join his universes version of the Avengers, the Ultimates, and he died because he took a bullet for one of them, then he fought Osborn's Six, saving his friends and family.  He died making sure Osborn could never hurt anyone else again, a true hero.

                                 The Liaison

       This is the government agent that acts as the buffer between the government and the team.  Not exactly needed, but I needed a 7th member and I liked the character so here it goes.

       Agent Phil Coulson from the films.  This guy is awesome, he was able to sneak past Stark Industries state of the art security, beat a guy with a bag of flour, shot Loki with a Destroyer gun while dieing, and had a personality that would be easy to get along with once you were working together and weren't his assignment.

       There is my avengers team, if you have any opinions, changes you would make, or simply have your own team idea, feel free to comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment