Monday, April 22, 2013

Edtorial: Netflix orginal series

       This may come off as a bit rantish, but I've been watching the series that Netflix is doing.  Their model is to gather information as to what their subscribers are watching, then create a series using actors and directors that are popular and writing it in a way that resembles popular series.  In theory this is an awesome idea, but in practice it can be rather hit and miss.  Their first series, House of Cards, was great it used one of my favorite directors, actor, and was written as a political mystery.  Thus it comes out to be great.  However it did have its flaws as well.  I'm not a huge fan of the irredeemable hero, I find the lack of character development to be boring, this is especially disappointing when you take into account David Fincher is known for his character development.

       The newest series, Hemlock Grove, has filled me with mixed feelings.  The series does werewolves almost right, the mystery is intriguing, and the acting is good.  But the first episode is done by Eli Roth, who is a terrible director even by low horror movie standards.  The rest of the series has some writing problems as well, mostly dialogue issues, but some of the characters have personality changes at the drop of a hat that contradict things they usually do.  I haven't finished this series yet, but I am enjoying it.  Its nice to get away from the excessive vampires that plague the networks and put another supernatural creature in the spotlight.

        Now is where the ranting begins, why are these series so dark?  I do enjoy a dark story every now and again, but they're saying that with all that's on Netflix people are only watching the dark and mature series rather that the series that are so popular on television.  Hell Game of Thrones, my favorite series on television right now mixes in lighthearted humor that really makes the series great.  More importantly this means that a majority of Netflix subscribers are disturbed possible sociopaths.  There also seems to be an abundance of sex in these series, meaning again, that a majority of Netflix users watch shows that do the same.

       So here is me trying to reach out to the Netflix users of the world to band together and attempt to diversify Netflix original programming for the next show they do, perhaps a buddy cop show, or a sci-fi epic, or even a standard sitcom.  Basically something I can watched with children present, as I often do when I watch television.  Seriously, I'm running low on shows I can watch with my young relatives.

       I don't have a problem with adult content, in fact I welcome it every now and then, however the downfall of the movie channels has in my mind always been that the shows start to become a way to simply show boobs on screen and usually sacrifice good writing in the process.  What I'm trying to get at is that I don't want Netflix to fall down this path, and they should learn to mix things up before it becomes too late.

       Do you as my readers have any thoughts on the matter?  If so feel free to leave a comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment